The American Honda Foundation engages in grant making that reflects the basic tenets, beliefs and philosophies of Honda companies, which are characterized by the following qualities: imaginative, creative, youthful, forward-thinking, scientific, humanistic and innovative.
The American Honda Foundation supports youth education with a specific focus on the STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) subjects in addition to the environment, job training and literacy. The Foundation's aim is to seek out those programs and organizations with a well-defined sense of purpose, demonstrated commitment to making the best use of available resources and a reputation for accomplishing their objectives. In addition, programs should be:
- Innovative and creative that propose untried methods which ultimately may result in providing solutions to the complex educational concerns currently facing the American society.
- Broad in scope, intent, impact and outreach.
- Possess a high potential for success with a relatively low incidence of duplication of effort (i.e. other organizations administering the same programs).
- Dedicated to improving the human condition of all mankind.
- Operate from a position of financial and administrative soundness.
- In urgent need of funding from a priority basis (not necessarily financial need); i.e., the relative importance of the program or project to the public.
Areas of priority to the American Honda Foundation are Youth education, specifically in the areas of science, technology, engineering, mathematics, the environment, job training and literacy.