This program provides funding to LEAs to establish or expand elementary and secondary school counseling programs, with special consideration given to applicants that can:
- Demonstrate the greatest need for counseling services in the schools to be served;
- Propose the most innovative and promising approaches; and
- Show the greatest potential for replication and dissemination.
- use a developmental, preventive approach,
- expand the inventory of effective counseling programs,
- include in-service training, and
- involve parents and community groups.
The absolute priority for 2014 is to Establish or expand counseling programs in elementary schools, secondary schools, or both.
Competitive Preference Priority 1—Improving School Engagement, School Environment, and School Safety and Improving Family and Community Engagement Under this priority, we give priority to applications for projects that are designed to improve student outcomes through one or both of the following priority areas:(a) Improving the school environment, which may include improving the school setting related to student learning, safety, and health.(b) Improving school safety, which may include decreasing the incidence of harassment, bullying, violence, and substance use.
Competitive Preference Priority 2—Support for Military Families Under this priority, we give priority to applications for projects that are designed to address the needs of military-connected students