A - Primarily intended to fund technology
Florida Division of Elections
The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2022 provides payments to states for activities to improve the administration of elections for Federal office, including to enhance election technology and make election security improvements.
Consistent with the requirements of HAVA, states may use this funding to:
- Replace voting equipment that only records a voter's intent electronically with equipment that utilizes a voter verified paper record;
- Implement a post-election audit system that provides a high level of confidence in the accuracy of the final vote tally;
- Upgrade election related computer systems to address cyber vulnerabilities identified through Department of Homeland Security, or similar scans or assessments of, existing election systems;
- Facilitate cybersecurity training for the state chief election official's office and local election officials;
- Implement established cybersecurity best practices for election systems; and
- Fund other activities that will improve the security of elections for Federal office.
History of Funding
The FY20 allocation to the State of Florida was $21,613,782.
The grant project period begins when EAC awards appropriated funds to the states and ends when the state expends all federal and required state match funds, interest earned on the federal and state funds and any program income earned under the grant. The Notice of Grant Award issued by the EAC will identify the project period for each grant.
The Florida Legislature makes an annual appropriation from Help America Vote Act Funds. Federal Election Activities Funds are allocated and distributed to the Supervisors of Elections based on a formula using the number of active registered voters in each county as of the last General Election's book closing.
Supervisors use these funds for one or more of the following categories: voter education; poll worker training; standardizing election results reporting; and other federal election administration activities as approved by the Department of State.
The Florida Division of Elections is the only entity eligible to apply to US Election Security Commission for HAVA funds. Funds are then awarded to state agencies in Florida. States may re-grant/distribute funds to local election districts/offices at their discretion.
For information regarding local deadlines, contact the Florida Division of Elections at (850)-245-6200 or DivElections@dos.myflorida.com.
The FY22 allocation to the State of Florida is $3,441,134. Funds are allocated based on the voting age population formula. States are required to match 20 percent of funds awarded within two years of receiving federal support.
Recent FUNDED Articles
New Funding Opportunities for K-12 School Safety - Sponsored by NetApp
Funding to Address High Crime Areas within Your Community - Sponsored by NetApp
Funding to Enhance Response, Investigation, and Prosecution of Domestic Violence - Sponsored by Panasonic